Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quail with Lemon and Herbs and Glazed Sweet Potatoes

This was a quick weeknight dish and while I didn't take many pictures of the process, it's two recipes so it does count!  I marinated the quail for about six hours in a marinade of scallions, rosemary, thyme, parsley, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice.  I then cooked the quail in a skillet until brown and finished off in the oven.
The sweet potatoes were cut into wedges and cooked in butter in the oven.  I then sprinkled brown sugar on top and caramelized them under the broiler.

This was probably the shortest menu time-wise yet.  Start to finish (not including the marinade time), dinner was ready in thirty minutes.  Thomas Keller isn't exactly one to publish a thirty minute meal book but if he did, this for sure would be in it!  The quail were juicy and lemony like roast chicken.  This recipe is a keeper for all of those birds Matt brings back from his annual hunting trip.  The sweet potatoes (missed getting a good picture) were also really good.  The wedges were tasty and had a crispy topping from being caramelized.   


Recipe Countdown:  57 of 251 recipes

1 comment:

  1. Alright, I must make a clarification here - Cristi purchased these quail because she really doesn't like cooking the ones that Scotty and I bring home from hunting...something about lead poisoning from the birdshot, I don't know...

    She usually makes me fry those on the back porch, however I am taking this post as public documentation that she will reuse this recipe next time we go hunting.

    ReplyDelete