Monday, November 22, 2010

Fresh Tuna Salad

My second find at the Fresh Market trip last weekend was fresh tuna. 
There is a gorgeous picture in the book showcasing a salad made with fresh tuna, avocados, and eggs, basically a fancy tuna salad nicoise.  The steps in the recipe also looked doable for a Monday night after a long work day.

I started out by blanching haricot verts (ok, green beans) and working on my medium-cooked eggs.  The first attempt at medium-cooked eggs turned into grossly-undercooked eggs so I had to try twice.  I then made the simple vinaigrette from the book which was a vinaigrette of Dijon mustard, red vinegar, and oil.  I tossed a bowl of bibb lettuce with the vinaigrette...


I then tossed cherry tomatoes, the green beans, and Kalamata olives in a separate bowl of vinaigrette.  I could have stopped and eaten this bowl by itself, the color combination in the bowl looked awesome...
After briefly searing the tuna, I assembled the salad with all of the ingredients.  This was the prettiest dish yet.  The salad was pretty tasty for a salad.  Every bite was different and the creamy avocados and medium cooked eggs were really good with the vinaigrette and tuna.  We didn't make a dent in the salad though.  When pondering why we keep having so many leftovers, Matt figured out that I have been following the book's recipes so exactly that I have been cooking for six instead of two.  Will have to work on that going forward!

3 comments:

  1. Christi,

    My nephew Stephen Hardy has shared your blog with me and I am fascinated, and jealous. I wish I had thought of that! I'll be following your cooking, and look forward to sampling it the next time I'm in Dublin. Stephen says you are a fantastic cook. By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I am going to share your blog with some of my friends and neighbors in Atlanta.

    Doug Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, you are officially invited to dinner next time you are in Dublin - thanks for the encouragement for my lovely wife...she may have fun cooking it, but it can't be as good as it is for me to get to be the beta tester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it really was as good as it looks

    ReplyDelete