Saturday, December 25, 2010

Breaded Veal Cutlets

I made a trip to the Fresh Market this week and picked up veal loin chops to make this dish.  I had the butcher cut the bone out and then I pounded the chops into cutlets to be used in this dish.  I have picked up veal scallopine for dishes before but I think I like pounding the loin out better because the pounding really seemed to tenderize the meat.  The veal had a nice color to it which the book says is an indication that it was a humanely raised veal...that makes me feel better.
This dish is a great lunch dish as it calls for a light salad of arugula and fennel on the side.  I started by shaving the fennel into thin strips for the salad.  I haven't worked with fennel lot but it sort of resembles and tastes like celery in my opinion.  This is what it looks like...
After shaving the fennel, I tossed with the arugula, drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil and the salad was ready. 

I then setup a dipping station of first flour, second eggs, and third ground panko crumbs.  I then cooked the cutlets in peanut oil until golden.  This is what the finished dish looked like...

The arugla salad was a little bitter as it normally is but the veal cutlets were really good.  The coating was light and the meat was not tough at all.  This is probably one of the easiest and best veal dishes I have ever tried. 
It was very light and I think this is the first recipe that hasn't called for a stick of butter...I know, I know it was fried in peanut oil but still!  This one is a keeper for the meat but maybe with a different salad next time.

Recipe Countdown:  45 of 251 recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment