Sunday, April 10, 2011

Artichoke Mustard, Fennel Mustard, Chocolate Ice Cream, Roasted Beet & Potato Salad

This was an assortment of recipes that really didn't go together, but I did make them all in one weekend so it is resulting in one very mismatched post.  The results were also very much mismatched.

I started with the mustards and cooked the artichokes and fennel separately until they were tender.
Both were pureed individually with dijon mustard, dry mustard, vinegar, and other seasonings.  My blender had broken so I was attempting to puree these ingredients with my small immersion blender.  It didn't work so well and the textures of the mustards were a little grainy.  I am taking credit for them because I did make them; however, I may have to try both again once my new blender arrives. 

The chocolate ice cream recipe was exactly like the vanilla ice cream recipe from the last post but you mix in melted chocolate to the batter.
I was very careful about not getting the cream mixture too hot which is what caused my lumpy vanilla ice cream.  The soft serve straight out of the bowl was almost like chocolate mouse.  I used a slightly darker chocolate than the recipe called for and it was perfect. 
The roasted beet & potato salad was a combination of things I never would have tried.  Having not really cooked with beets before, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I started out by roasting the beets in the oven, peeling them, and cutting them into quarters.  I then cooked quartered assortments of purple and fingerling potatoes over simmering water.
 The beets and potatoes were tossed with escarole and pieces of smoked salmon and then dressed with the mustard vinaigrette recipe from the book.  I loved the beets.  Their sweet roasted flavor was perfect for the salad and I found myself picking all of the beets out when I ate the salad.  The smoked salmon was an interesting addition but it wasn't bad, and of course you can't go wrong with the old potato.


85 out of 251 recipes...166 to go
(I miscounted last post)

No comments:

Post a Comment